1) Evaluations –If you disagree with your Annual Evaluation, it is important to write an appeal to NPS’s Evaluations Office and the Peer Oversight Committee. Email your appeal to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make sure you include all evidence you can provide that the evaluation is not an accurate representation of you! If you need help on your appeals, reach out to mmaillaro@newarkteachersunion.
Also important, IF your personal days or FMLA are being counted against you on competency 5, LET US KNOW IMMEDIATELY!
If you are already on a CAP and received a Partial Effective or Ineffective on your Annual Evaluation, you may be facing tenure charges! CALL THE NTU IMMEDIATELY!
2) Calendar Update – Upon receiving the NPS school calendar for 17/18 on June 2nd, President Abeigon echoed the anger and frustration of the majority of members negatively impacted by the SY17/18 calendar and exclaimed “we ain’t coming back!!” in a communication. He also stated that we would update you on our next steps after consultation with our attorneys. Having met with our lawyers the following is our plan:
We are bound by our contract to seek a reasonable resolution to the matter of starting the school year in an 11th month of employment and also seek damages created by NPS’s late notice. We will keep you upraised of the NPS reply and our response. Please read the attached letter we sent to the district.
In addition, early next week, we will be sending out an impact survey to the members.
3) Contract Update – REMINDER! The first of two retro payments will be coming out next Friday, June 23, 2017. This payment will cover the 2015-2016 school year. We are working with NPS to have a reporting system in place to ensure any issues with this payment will be dealt with in a timely fashion. More information to come.
4) NPS Advisory Board Meeting – On Tuesday, June 20, 2017, NPS ADVISORY BOARD MEETING @ Oliver Street School – 86 Oliver Street. Meeting starts at 6 PM.
Concerned about the calendar? Angry about being forced to work in buildings where the temperature got up to 102 degrees? Come out and make your voice heard! NTU Secretary/Treasurer Michael Iovino will be speaking at the meeting! We hope to see you there!
5) Seton Hall Informational Meeting - Seton Hall University will be holding an Open House/Information Session for their next Executive M.A. & Ed.S Degree Program in Education Leadership, Management, and Policy on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 4:30pm at the NTU Offices at 1019 Broad Street, Newark.