1) Respect the Contract – Negotiations continue between NTU and NPS regarding our contract. Things have been progressing well in many areas, though the process continues to be slow. Our next negotiations session is scheduled for next Thursday. Hopefully, we will have some news to report out after that session. Until then, continue to RESPECT THE CONTRACT! Nothing more, nothing less!
Brothers & Sisters:
I am cautiously optimistic in reporting out the results of Wednesday’s NTU Executive Board Meeting. As we are all anxious to hear about the contract, I’ll get to that first:
1) Respect the Contract Update – Reports of RTC success keep coming in; sadly, so do reminders of why we fight. At an NPS discipline hearing last week, a teacher was disciplined for coming in 10 minutes late (five 2 minute occurrences) while the district neglected to take into consideration that he had spent the last five years staying a half hour late each day assisting disadvantaged students.
He will not stay late any more.
1) Respect the Contract: Attendance Counselors - Teachers, Aides and Clerks are NOT Attendance Counselors!! If the NPS wants Attendance Counselors then they should call them back to work. Schools have been asking staff to call parents any time their students are absent during their lunch or perp periods. There isn't enough time in your day; instruction, prep periods, etc are NOT to be used to do someone else's job. Use the tools in our Respect the Contract toolkit to protect yourself!
1) DYFS Update – Recently, an arbitrator put out a pretty shocking decision regarding a teacher allegedly bullying students. Definitely something you should read and take to heart when dealing with students.
2) NPS Advisory Board Meeting
Tuesday, September 27, 2016 6:00 PM
Elliott Street School
1) Respect the Contract – Yesterday, President Abeigon sent out a notice to all school staff about upcoming “contract actions.” Please review that email. More information will be coming after Monday’s Building Rep Meeting.
2) Election Day - We have been receiving numerous calls regarding this coming presidential election day, Tuesday, Nov 8th. Here is the law regarding that day:
1) Paydates: Today is the first payday of the year. It should be a seven day check for full time staff (per diem staff are paid a week behind). If you have any issues with your check, please email Mike Maillaro at email@example.com. Attached is the list of all the pay dates for the year from our upcoming calendar book.
1) Negotiations Update – On June 2, the Negotiations Committee presented a confidential draft of our contract proposals to the NTU Executive Board for review and discussion. The reaction to the committee's proposals by the Executive Board was overwhelmingly positive. Our Negotiations Committee will be meeting one last time to make final edits suggested by the Executive Board before our first negotiations session with the NPS team on June 15.
1) Contract Update – We finally have negotiations dates! Our negotiation team will be meeting with NPS’s team on June 10, 15, and 16 to present our proposals and to see what proposals NPS has for us. This is YOUR LAST CHANCE to do the NTU contract survey. Our negotiations team will be meeting one last time to finalize our proposals on May 24 and to present them to the Executive Board.