1) Lafayette Street School - The NTU has followed through in suing the administrative staff at Lafayette School personally. NPS administrators can not be allowed to use Teach NJ and Achieve NJ as weapons to destroy the careers of hard-working decent professionals.
2) December Membership Meetings – We are working on scheduling regional membership meetings before the Winter Break. More information to come as soon as the dates and locations are finalized.
1) NTUniversity – On Thursday, November 5, the NTU will be hosting an ALL-DAY Google Workshop at Technology High School as part of our new initiative of Teachers Teaching Teachers. The morning session will take teachers through all of Google's features from Gmail, Docs, Drive, creating Documents, Slides, etc. The afternoon session will take you through the use of Google Classroom including using Forms for quizzes and tests, grading etc. There are ONLY 30 seats for this all day workshop and you need to pre-register by clicking on this link and reserving your seat.
1) Advisory Board Meeting - With the community, we are asking for a massive “WALK IN” at Monday night’s Advisory Board meeting. It is vital that we come out in force! The meeting starts at 6 PM. We want everyone there by 5:30 PM so we can walk in as one large body.
Newark Advisory Board Meeting
Monday, October 26, 2015 - 6:00 PM
University High School
55 Clinton Place
Newark, NJ 07108
2) Charter Schools on Trial - Let's get to the Facts on Charter Schools. Tell your state legislator we need to revisit the Moratorium on Charter School Bill before we're faced with more
1) City Hall Candlelight Vigil - October 19, 2015 5 PM - Newark is calling on all outraged public school employees and their representatives, local and statewide supporters of public education to mount a candlelight vigil on the steps of Newark City Hall, 920 Broad Street, Monday, October 19th at 5 p.m. to bring light to the struggles of Newark’s PUBLIC schools as a result of CONTINUED Charter expansion. As always, parking is available behind the Newark Teachers Union building.
1) DYFS Update - It is October 6, 2015 and already numerous false allegations of child abuse have been made. Please be adroitly aware that child abuse, child neglect and child lack of supervision charges are the stepping stone to discipline charges, terminations, increment denials and tenure charges. We vigorously defend you when allegations are made, but it is imperative that as faculties talk amongst themselves of the serious consequences wrought by child abuse charges.
All employees should do their very best to not physically touch students. Parents will immediately
2) NTU Building Reps: We have many buildings without Building Reps at this time. If you are interested in being your school’s Building Rep, you will receive an application in the next day or so. Please complete the application, and returned as per instructions. It is vital that
In the interest of keeping you informed, we would like to share this report with you:
On Tuesday morning, myself, Secretary/Treasurer Michael Iovino, Director of Communication Mike Maillaro and Staff Representative Michael Caputo had a productive meeting with Superintendent Cerf and his team regarding the Evaluation Framework. It was evident that this will be an ongoing and robust discussion, however, we did have some concrete results:
TARDINESS & ABSENTEEISM
The NTU, like our NPS counterparts, believes strongly that teacher attendance is important to creating success in the classroom.