1) Newark Public Schools Workers Vote to Join Teachers Union - 189 unaffiliated NPS staff have voted to join the Newark Teachers Union! On Oct 31, the Public Employee Relations Commission
The NTU Executive Board is revamping our Social Justice and Community Engagement Committee and WE NEED YOUR HELP!
At this meeting, we want to discuss your concerns, hear your ideas, and show you how to get involved!
Join NTU Vice Presidents Chris Canik and Yvette Jordan in developing an action plan for the 2017-2018 school year and beyond!
Monday, October 30, 2017 4:00 PM—5:30 PM
Newark Teachers Union
1019 Broad Street, Newarlk NJ
Parking Available behind building
1) We are looking for Building Reps! Without a NTU Building Rep in YOUR school you lose a valuable voice that will advocate for you, defend your contract, and keep you informed in your building. A NTU Rep will help assure YOU and your contract are defended each and every day. Learn how you can help be a part of securing your and your co-workers' voices!
Our Rep Support Committee has scheduled two meetings for next week.
1) Revised Tuition Reimbursement Forms – Because of changes we negotiated in our contract, we have made revisions to the Tuition Reimbursement Forms.
1) Kudos – The new NTU website is regularly updated with a wide variety of important information, including a calendar of events, and how to’s for topics like FMLA’s. If you have anything you’d like added to the website (kudos, pictures/videos from your school, etc), just send it to mmaillaro@newarkteachersunion.
1) NTU Calendar Books – This is the question we get most at the NTU this time of year “Where is my Calendar book?” The 2017-2018 calendar book is currently at the printer and we hope to have it out to the membership in the next week or so.
2) NTU Contract Books – We are working with NPS on finalizing the new Contract Books. We hope to have a digital version on the website next week and the print copy available soon after.
1) State votes to restore Newark to Local Control! This week, we get to celebrate a historic moment 22 years in the making! The State Board of Education heard a motion to return Newark to local control, and this motion passed unanimously! We have all worked very hard to get this victory, and we all deserve to take a moment to celebrate.
1) SAVE THE DATES! With the transition back to local control, it is vital that NTU has a strong presence at the upcoming NPS Advisory Board Meetings. This fight is far from over!
1) 2017-2018 Pay dates: As per NPS, these are the pay dates for the 2017-2018 school year. Unless indicated, all pay checks are for ten (10) days. Remember that all full-time staff are paid to the day, not a week behind. The “pay period” on top of staff’s check often creates confusion about that.